Friday, December 10, 2010

Car Reviws

Car Reviws


2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited Sedan, an AW Drivers Log:

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 07:02 AM PST

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Subaru
The 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: The STI is back, baby! Erase those horrid memories of the previous STI with abundant body roll and numb steering response. And Subaru has brought back the sedan, big wing and all. The funny thing is, as garish as it is, I think it's almost required to have that big shopping-cart rear spoiler on an STI. In tuner circles, it is part of the STI's mystique, and this one is designed in a way to not hamper rearward visibility too much compared with the one on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, which is nice.

Back in fall 2007, I was in Japan for the world debut of the last STI. That was when Subaru binned the sedan in favor of the five-door hatchback and attempted to make the car more user-friendly and more premium to expand the car's reach. I remember talking to some Subaru engineers and I expressed my disappointment about a sedan not being offered, but they said a big factor in moving to a hatchback body was that the rear roof area added a fair amount of stiffness to the car.

If it did, I had a difficult time telling as I did a few hot laps at Fuji Speedway. Turn one is a very sharp right-hander, which required heavy braking off the front straight before turn in. Through that corner, the car had so much lean that I thought maybe something was wrong. Turns out, it was what Subaru wanted at the time to increase ride comfort, which it did, but it totally trampled the idea of what a STI was supposed to be in my mind.

And the increased level of cabin refinement made shooting down that front straight at Fuji seem far less exciting than it should have been. In the first STIs that came to the United States, you could find a stretch of road and bury the throttle and it would feel and sound like you were on fire, shooting forward with lots of engine noise seeping into the cabin. However, I guess the sensation is just something you lose during the course of refining a vehicle.

Getting back to the present day, Subaru has heard and, most important, responded to its loyal followers by returning the STI sedan to the lineup and made big strides in tightening up the car. The front suspension now features pillow ball bushings in place of inexpensive rubber bushings with steel sleeves, stiffer springs, thicker antiroll bars and a lowered the ride height. The result is a car that responds to steering inputs quicker and with far less body roll, dive under braking and understeer.

The changes are drastic and are enough to warrant us getting one for our long-term fleet. I can't wait for that. From my drives of this test car, I would like Subaru to tighten up the steering some to put it more in line with the lightning response of the Evolution, and I think one more tick up on the suspension stiffness could be achieved while maintaining the car's respectable ride comfort.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: I forgot how much I love driving the WRX. As Jon notes, there's little body roll here, and the steering is so much better. It goes right where you want it to. The suspension is tighter than I remember, and some of my fillings worked loose on a particularly harsh stretch of road.

I'm not a real big fan of the big-ass wing, but I understand why it's there. For the money, there's a ton of bang for the buck here.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR--AUTOWEEK.COM BOB GRITZINGER: I know it's heresy to suggest this, but I may be partial to the everyday WRX over this higher-end, higher-output, higher-complexity STI version. There's a lot to love in a normal WRX, so unless you really need to be out there on the edge, it's probably way good enough for most folks.

That said, there is nothing quite like getting stuck in traffic on the main road and realizing that I was driving the perfect tool for a gravel-road detour to the same destination. Punch up the S-Sharp setting, grab a gear, punch the throttle and go--the last 10 minutes of my commute were instantly converted from a stop-and-go slog to an all-out, ear-to-ear smile blast through the back roads. The car positively loves hanging out the tail, allowed for the executing of perfect four-wheel drifts without ever worrying about snapping the back end around too far. Control, even on loose gravel, seems almost intuitive. Point, pedal, steer, shoot. What a great car.

I could do without the big wing, but I love the near-V8 muscle-car-like rumble Subaru engineered into this car's exhaust note. Down low, idling into a parking lot, everyone knows something special just pulled up. The STI certainly fits that bill.

ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: I was excited to see we had an STI in the fleet and even more excited when I saw my name penciled in to drive it home last night. It's the kind of car that always puts a smile on my face. I love the fact that it looks really sweet and yes, I'm a huge fan of the signature wing. Like many, I missed the sedan when Subaru took it away. It looks sportier compared with the hatchback version we've been forced to live with for the past few years.

Most important, the car is fun to drive. I just drove to and from work on the expressways, and the STI had the power and agility to safely maneuver through traffic. This is a car that makes you want to take the long way home. I didn't get the chance to let loose on any of the gravel roads near my house, but I would imagine it would be a riot and quite capable in the snow with a set of winter tires installed.

The six-speed shifter makes it easy to bang through gears and to take off from stops in a hurry. I love it. And I just heard we're getting a long-termer, which I love even more.

EDITORIAL INTERN JAKE LINGEMAN: Full disclosure: I've been a fan of Imprezas since it was the two-door 2.5RS. So of course I loved this one.

Subaru styling has a habit of growing on me. When they switched to the round headlights, I liked the narrow ones. When they switched back, I liked the round ones. Now this style had grown on me, and the fact that they brought the sedan back makes it even better.

The wing is classic Subaru; it wouldn't be a STI without one. And Subaru raised this one up an inch or two, keeping it above the horizon in the rearview mirror. Well done.

The dark blue paint is cool and the gunmetal rims match well. It's a wild-looking car, lots of curves and movement in the front. It looks best at night, under a streetlight, with the super-white headlights on.

Power is plentiful, even without the Sport Sharp setting. I drove around for a bit last night, marveling at how the STI handles and accelerates, forgetting it wasn't even in the fastest mode. It fires up in “sport” mode, too. Most cars revert back to “comfort” or “intelligent” or “eco” when they're shut down, but Subaru knows what drivers want.

The engine is big enough to get the car moving without the turbo, which is key. If I want to relax and keep it under 3,000 rpm, it still gets off the line and goes a little bit.

The turbo lag isn't as bad as it used to be, but it will still throw you back in your seat. Out of the corner of my eye I could see my passenger's head going back every time it kicked in. The sound is lovely. It's a mix of exhaust bass and high-pitched turbo whistle that jumps up a few octaves as the revs increase. I could listen to that all day.

Peak power is at 6,000 rpm, according to the specs, but it seems to run out of steam around 5,000 or a little above. It beeps and flashes when you get to limit, but I rarely needed to shift that high.

It's still a bit in the middle though. It's loud inside, but no complaints from me on that, and it has some rattles in the back. The doors have a bit more heft, but the closing sound is still cheap. There's no iPod connector, either. I expect that in most cars, but not necessarily in the range-topping vehicles. It does have RCA cables, but for that you need the headphone jack-RCA converter cord, I have it but I doubt many other people do.

The interior is better than before. The leather seats in this topped-out version are comfy and relatively supportive, though I would have liked a bit more lateral stability. The heated seats are nice but Subaru put the button back by your right elbow, instead of your right hand. There are plenty of spots for it on the center stack; why not put it there? The light-up STI badge in front of the shifter is a nice touch, though.

Yikes, this is near $40,000 now? That's a bit much, but this is a Limited trim with leather, sunroof and optional navigation. Even so, I'm with Cheryl and I can't wait for the long-termer to get here.

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited Sedan

Base Price: $38,070

As-Tested Price: $39,870

Drivetrain: 2.5-liter turbocharged H4; AWD, six-speed manual

Output: 305 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 290 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,384 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 19/18.5 mpg

Options: Navigation system ($1,800)

Lamborghini LP 837, an AW Flash Drive:

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 06:54 AM PST

Lamborghini LP 837
The Lamborghini LP 837 prototype will evolve into the next version of the Murcielago.

What is it?

This is the Lamborghini LP 837, a shadowy, camouflaged prototype that foretells of the MurciƩlago replacement. It uses a 700-hp, 509 lb-ft, dry-sump V12 and loads of carbon fiber for a lightweight demeanor.

There are three of these prototypes in the world, each in a different stage of development, and they're worth gazillions for their information-gathering value alone.

How's it drive?

With the V12 howling, the four wheels bite harder than they ever did on the MurciƩlago (it's now a Haldex IV center diff, rather than a viscous coupling) and the seats slam you so hard they take your breath away.

All the while, the bellow in your ears is shamelessly belligerent, but with a sheen of smoothness the old V12 never had. It's as if the only tremors coming from the motor are the ones Lamborghini wanted it to have, rather than the ones they were forced to live with.

No other car in the world changes gear this fast. First to second hammers home in just 0.05 second in the Corsa mode, and it doesn't do it smoothly, either. There's a marked, metallic “bang” and a shudder runs through the car and then it's back, ripping all 700 horses into the road again.

Do I want it?

Of course you do. It's a jet of a thing. Lamborghini tech boss Maurizio Reggiani insists the car will blast to 62 mph in less than three seconds and will have a 217-mph top speed. I have no reason to doubt him.

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet, an AW Drivers Log:

Posted: 09 Dec 2010 07:06 AM PST

EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: Man, almost $30,000 in options alone on this car? That, and including a gas-guzzler tax is amazing!

Like the hardtop, this thing is a blast to drive. There is monster torque at launch, and with AWD, there's no tire slippage at all. You just go. The ceramic brakes will stand you right on your nose. You need to recalibrate your brake thinking because hard applications will stop the car much faster than you think is possible. I also like the center-lock wheels--very neat looking, with no lug nuts.

I like the one-button top-down operation with no latches or anything to undo. You can also drop the top while moving, which is another nice feature.

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Since it was pouring rain when I drove the car home and the thing was covered with dew on the way in this morning, I didn't get to experience the top down. That's a shame because otherwise, I vastly prefer the quieter coupe to the convertible in most situations. The power is indeed instant--the car just pulls and pulls no matter the gear. It isn't quite as light on its feet as a standard 911, which I blame the all-wheel drive for. It's not quite as sporty or connected, but it still feels plenty wieldy. And the flat-six in turbo form doesn't sound quite as good the normally aspirated car, but it still sounds good.

I like the dual-clutch trans with the paddles, now that Porsche has proper ones. I'd definitely opt for this transmission were I customer. It's smooth and quick.

MOTORSPORTS EDITOR MAC MORRISON: I've become very, very well acquainted with the new Turbo recently, given the amount of time we spent with the coupe version for our recent Turbo/GT3 magazine cover story. Driving the cabriolet did nothing to change my opinion: It's simply the same warp-speed story, plus open-air driving.

This 911 is pure automotive devastation personified. Its raw speed doesn't drop your jaw; it socks you in it and shatters the bone to pieces. With the top down, the experience is even more pleasing and the sense of speed only amplified. If you think 0 to 60 mph in less than three seconds feels bonkers in a coupe, try it with the top dropped and the windows down: Your face will come out looking like you just went for a ride in a centrifuge.

What I like most about the Turbo is its combination of relatively uncompromised performance and daily usability. This is no GT car; it's a hard-core performance killer, but it's also easy enough to drive that you never find yourself thinking, nah, I'm not in the mood to drive the Porsche today.

With the top down, the turbo kicking on full boost and the chassis/AWD generating huge cornering grip, this is a real-world race-car experience that also boasts a lot of creature comforts. However, as I said, this is no luxury touring car. The ride is noticeably stiff, even with the adjustable PASM suspension set to normal. But I like that. What I don't like as much is the PDK paddle-shift transmission; it is a bit boring. I'd opt for the six-speed manual and gun it toward the nearest stretch of a sunset-lit open road.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: Yep, after the GT3/Turbo cover story we did, we know a thing or two about this car. It sure would have been nice to be able to drop the top on my night with the car, but it was damp and rather cold, so that was out of the question. I imagine having the open sky above you along with all the power, and this chassis's capabilities would add another element to the Turbo. In the end, I'll opt for the sharper and lighter Turbo coupe over the cabriolet. That's just me, though.

It was cold and damp so I wasn't pushing the car all that hard on my overnight with it. First and foremost, I again will thank Porsche for finally giving us proper shift paddles for this dual-clutch transmission. Of course, they squeeze another $490 out of you for them, but that's a small price to pay to not have to deal with those cruddy shift blocks that come standard.

From the few expressway on-ramps I did take quickly, the cabriolet still exhibits amazing composure and grip when you chuck it into a turn. Like the coupe, the ride is stiff with the dampers in normal mode and even stiffer with sport punched up.

But quite possibly the most striking thing about this car, as I wrote in our cover story, is that it enables practically anyone the ability to jump behind the wheel and go really, really fast. Launch control helps you jump off the line perfectly, and the amount of grip available in this car can make almost anyone look like a competent driver. Knowing how to match revs now isn't even required with the PDK gearbox, which does all that for you and is quicker than you'll ever be operating a third pedal.

This is a truly impressive vehicle with more power than you'll ever need, amazing brake performance from the pricey optional carbon-ceramic brakes and direct steering with lots of heft.

If I had the money, mine would come with a manual, even with the PDK being ultimately faster. However, the PDK gearbox decreases one of the most important things about a car to me—the fun factor for the driver. I'll save the soapbox speech about the joys of a manual transmission because I'm sure the majority of our readers agree with me.

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet

Base Price: $144,750

As-Tested Price: $172,905

Drivetrain: 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged H6; AWD, seven-speed dual-clutch sequential manual

Output: 500 hp @ 6,000-6,500 rpm, 480 lb-ft @ 1,950-5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,627 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 19/18.2 mpg

Options: Ceramic-composite brakes ($8,840); PDK transmission ($4,550); 19-inch RS Spyder wheels with center lock ($3,835); sport chrono package turbo including dynamic engine mounting, analog and digital chronometer, sport button, sport button plus ($3,830); Porsche torque vectoring ($1,320); seat ventilation ($800); satellite radio ($750); Bluetooth phone interface ($695); dynamic cornering lights ($690); seatbelts in sand beige ($540); heated front seats ($510); sport wheel with shift paddles ($490); universal audio interface ($440); black/sand beige interior ($430); Porsche crest in headset ($285); floor mats in interior color ($150)

No comments:

Popular Posts

Labels